In most cases, floods are caused by strong and prolonged rainfall. The flood can cause a lot of damage because the water is heavy and immensely moving. Make sure that your family members are aware of the dangers and can prevent them.
Before the flood
- Get the most accurate forecast for weather and water levels. Find out what level of water will pose a danger to your household.
- If possible, build water barriers.
- Be ready for any power cuts. Turn off electricity both in the event of danger and when leaving your home.
- Charge the mobile phone, find a flashlight, acquire a battery powered radio, etc.
- Store drinking water, food, batteries, and car fuel.
- Close the openings of sewage pipes and tap drain pipes with wooden stoppers.
- Disconnect the downpipes leading to sewerage.
- Take your home property and chemicals that may cause contamination above the surface of the earth in the potential flood area.
- Get ready to evacuate.
During the flood
- When the water enters the building, retreat to the second floor, attic or roof. Take with you items necessary for the emergency: telephone, blankets, food and clean drinking water.
- Set the radio to your local radio frequency to be connected to the outside world.
- Make yourself/your household visible/audible to the rescuers.
- Follow the instructions given on evacuation.
- Take into account the risks due to the movement of the water outside.
- Do not move into the flooded area.
- Keep away from flooded substations, as well as electrical equipment and cables.
- Call 112 in case of personal injury and direct danger.
Areas with a high risk of flood in Estonia are:
- Papsaare village in Audru municipality
- Aardlapalu village in Haaslava municipality
- Virtsu hamlet in Hanila rural municipality
- Häädemeeste hamlet in Häädemeeste rural municipality
- Järvakandi town
- Nasva hamlet in Kaarma municipality
- Paralepa and Uuemõisa hamlets in Ridala municipality
- Maidla densely populated area in Saue municipality
- Võru hamlet in Tahkuranna municipality
- Haabersti, Northern Tallinn, City Center, and Pirita city districts in Tallinn
- Ilmatsalu hamlet in Tähtvere rural municipality