Prevention of building fires
The fire spreads quickly. The best protection against fire is to know the behavior of fire, to recognize the fire hazard and to prevent it.
To prevent fires
- Install smoke detectors in rooms.
- Check their condition every month. Replace the batteries once a year or when they are empty. It is signaled by the unusual sound.
- Learn yourself and instruct you family members on how to behave in the event of a fire and how to leave the building when a fire happens.
- Acquire the basic fire extinguishing equipment for your home. Learn yourself and teach your family members to use them.
- Practice evacuation with your family members.
- Try doing it with eyes closed. There is a lot of smoke during the fire. It would be good if you knew your way out of the building even when you cannot see anything.
- Keep bent forward or on all fours. When you have to feel your way out of the building, first touch the door to feel its temperature before opening it. There may be a fire behind the hot door.
- When moving, keep in mind that under the ceiling there is always more smoke and heat than near the floor.
- In government offices, service companies, department stores and in other public areas, there must be evacuation plans on the walls of each floor. Evacuation routes must be labeled with emergency lights.
Basic fire-extinguishing equipment is:
- powder extinguisher
- small fire cock
- a box of sand
- a container of water
- fire blanket
- improvised fire extinguishers such as clothing, soil, etc.