Severe weather emergencies
In the context of the world, Estonia is quite windless. However, a couple of times a year, we also have storms. People need to understand that storms can be dangerous. Make sure that your family members know how to behave safely during a storm.
Before the storm
- Gather light items and loose furniture from the yard and store them.
- Park your vehicle in an open space or in a garage.
- Close all doors and windows.
- Be prepared for possible power outages. Charge the battery of your mobile phone, find a flashlight, etc.
- Make sure you have drinking water, food, batteries, and car fuel.
During the storm
- Stay indoors.
- Do not drive. If driving is unavoidable, fill the car with gas and take a charged mobile phone with you.
- When driving the vehicle, select the appropriate speed. Remember that obstacles may fall on the road.
- In the event of heavy rain, stop the vehicle on the side of the road and switch on the hazard warning lights.
- Stay away from fallen power lines. Inform Elektrilevi of them by calling 1343 and the Emergency Response Centre by calling 112.
- In case of injury or direct danger, call the emergency number 112.